Saturday, September 01, 2007

CAKE

In my head, I had this cake all planned out. It was Tory's actual birthday, and Edwin's was going to be the next day. He really likes chocolate, but rarely gets any, 'cause I'm not such a huge fan; so I decided it would be a chocolate cake (plus, I had all the ingredients and a great recipe... so, why not?). Now, I know and have admitted many times (especially to my students when I taught) that I am NO artist. But I figured, "hey! I can draw like a first grader at least!" So, in my head, my two layered cake would have a tree, an Edwin, and a Tory under the tree, smiling. I would then write: "Happy Birthday Edwin and Tory!" or maybe "Feliz Cumpleaños Edwin y Tory". But anyway... I had not even thought about the background. SO... I go to make the cake. Tory's birthday, remember? I was also planning on making steak and some awesome potatoes, but thankfully, decided to better do that on Edwin's birthday. So, the chocolate cakes (layered, remember) came out beautifully. I placed them on the front burners to cool while I made dinner. Put dinner pans on the back bunner and turn the burners on.... check. Begin to cut broccoli... check. Put broccoli in pan.... WOA!! Where is all this SMOKE coming from?? Yeah... that's me. Turns out I turned on the FRONT burners... not the back ones... and now the cakes are BLACK (not just chocolate brown - NO - BLACK), stuck to the pans, and smell very smoky. VERY BUMMED... but at least I can try again tomorrow, right? (Not so bad having their birthdays next to each other after all. :) SO... go through the whole thing again the next day (this time with the steaks and potatoes to do as well)... but was VERY careful NOT to turn on the wrong burners - didn't even USE the burners today! Oh, no! Nice! Cakes came out well, now for the frosting. WOW!! Now... my very creative sister-in-law (Michele) did this a year ago, right before Tory was born. She made like 48 cupcakes and decorated them all by putting the frosting in a small zip-lock bag, cutting a small hole in the bottom corner and decorating the cupcakes!! How hard can that be??? Beautiful job!! Well... enough talking. Scroll down a bit, and you will see my creation. Where is the tree? Where is Edwin . . . and... JUST STOP!! (Sigh..) Well... at least it was a VERY tasty cake - I even ate some and enjoyed it! :) As you can see in the video... we let Tory have at it. She was very generous and wanted to share it all with Edwin too. :) The next set of pictures was a Grandma G's house where we had another yummy cake for Edwin and Tory. If you look closely at the video... you will see Tory trying to imitate daddy and blow out the candles... :) So cute!!

Perdón que no ponga toda la gran historia en español.... pero la cosa es que yo tenía un pastel bien chivo planeado en mi mente (no con las gran aspiraciones a artista porque ustedes bien saben que yo no puedo dibujar... eso se lo dejo a Edwin). Pero si iba a tratar algo básico... un arbolito, quisas... y a Edwin y Tory abajo del árbol, sonriendo.... eso no sonaba tan dificil... :) Pues, es día que cociné los pasteles.... al salir del horno, los puse en cima de la cocina para enfriar y empecé a cocinar la cena... pero encendí las estufas incorrectas.... y cociné los pasteles otra vez!! Me salieron negras!! Y se pegaron al pairex (no se como se dice la cosa en donde se cocinan los pasteles, pero ahí). Asi que traté otra vez el siguiente día, en el cumpleaños de Edwin. Esta vez si me salieron los pasteles.... pero la decoración!! Ay, ay, ay... pues verán ustedes mismos cómo me salió. Ni me hablen de ese árbol tonto que iba a poner!!! Al menos el sabor estaba buena... como pueden ver en el video... hasta yo me comí el pastel (y eso que no me gusta mucho el chocolate)... :) En las otras fotos estábamos donde mis abuelos... ellos también hicieron pastel para los cumpleañeros... y si miran de cerca en el video, verán que Tory está tratando de copiar a su papito al soplar las velitas... Ahhh.... que linda! :)








Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting








Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

1 comment:

yolanda said...

what a story! i have to say, you were determined...good for you!

yolanda